Henry J. Kaiser and Joseph W. Frazer purchased the gigantic Willow Run B-24 bomber plant in 1945 from the government and began production in mid-year 1946.
The Kaiser-Frazer Corporation was formed at the end of World War II, August 1945, to supply the starved auto market. Henry J. Kaiser and Joseph W. Frazer purchased the huge Willow Run B-24 aircraft plant and began producing 1947 model Kaiser and Frazer cars for late 1946 delivery. The Kaiser would be lower priced and the Frazer, being the upscale model, would sell for more. Kaiser-Frazer produced 250,000 cars in its first 18 months of production (more than all the other independent manufacturers).
Kaiser-Frazer was known for its lavish interiors and colors, but did not make enough money to sustain the automotive operation under increasing competition. In July 1953, production on 1953 models ended at Willow Run. Kaiser-Frazer merged with Willys-Overland and moved the last year of production, 1954, to the Toledo, Ohio plant. Kaiser-Frazer built over 700,000 cars at Willow Run.